Creative product & company naming.
What’s in a name? Quite a lot actually. Sorry Shakespeare, but choosing the wrong name can mean confused customers, lost sales, or even crippling legal hassles.
But if you’re launching a new brand or rebranding an old one, finding the right name is hard - because, let’s face it, most of the obvious names are gone.
That’s where we come in.
We love naming, and our clients tell us we’re really good at it. Recently we’ve helped big companies name high end Swiss chocolate, a revolutionary new consumer beverage, and a KFC chicken sandwich. We’ve also helped Internet startups, mobile apps, charities, and government programs.
Here’s what we do:
1) Brandscape scan: a careful look at the naming and positioning patterns in your market - and in similar markets around it. We’ll recommend “white space” directions, and you’ll get our Brandscape scan report.
2) Creative Namestorm process: we’ll develop a list of dozens of rough candidate names, and we’ll share it with you - warts and all - so we can work through the angles before we fall in love with any one name.
3) Refined, pre-searched list: from there, we’ll narrow the options down to a short list of solid candidates, and we’ll do basic Google, trademark, and major language scans to make sure finalists are free of obvious conflicts.
4) Web site domain searches: if you need a prime Web address, you’ll be surprised what we can find and / or secure for you when it is part of a naming process. We’ve secured dozens of.com, .org, and .ca addresses for our clients, from Bluedrop.com to CanadaBusiness.ca.
5) Stories: but a decent name isn’t enough. You need to see how our names can help you build your business. That’s why we always pair a name with sample messaging and imagery to help you better “try on” a name before you make your decision.
6) Consulting & Testing: if you want to run focus groups, social media conversations, online surveys, or internal round table consultations on a short list of candidate names, we can help you manage that process as well.